Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Brandi Carlile -- Give Up the Ghost



The One2One Network gave me the opportunity to listen to and review Brandi Carlile's new album, Give Up The Ghost, and I was instantly impressed. The first track, Looking Out, is a powerful hook and the strength just keeps coming with each song after that. Her style has been compared to KT Tunstall and Rachael Yamagata. Brandi's vocals are big and full of beauty. Her voice literally soars at moments that are just wonderful. Paste Magazine named Brandi "the best voice in indie rock" and I totally agree. Her voice is a powerhouse with a tremendous range that's really gorgeous.

Brandi also had the opportunity to do a duet with her idol, Elton John, on the track "Caroline". It's a fun, upbeat folksong with great harmonies. This album is full of amazing songs. It's a great variety of tempos that makes the album a really fabulous listen.

Can you tell I was really taken by this album? I honestly didn't expect to like this as much as I do. I'm not sure why, I guess I thought Brandi Carlile would just be another female singer songwriter. Boy, was I wrong! Her voice is the best I've heard in a long, long time and her songwriting matches right up. This is a fantastic album. You should definitely check it out.






No comments: