Wednesday, September 8, 2010

C & PB Bananas

So here's that yummy recipe I was telling you about. I'm a camping cook novice. I've been camping many times before, but I was never in charge of any of the cooking. My dad and I went camping every summer, but we camped at a folk festival, so there were always plenty of food vendors to choose from. So camping this weekend was going to be a new cooking experience for me.

We planned on making chicken and veggie shish kabobs with teriyaki sauce (which turned out wonderfully!) and then we needed a dessert. The other couple we were camping with was planning burgers and s'mores one night, so I wanted a fun dessert that was different. Many of the recipes I found online involved either dutch ovens (which I don't have) or marshmallows. I didn't want to use marshmallows since we'd be having s'mores. In my search, I found many mentions of stuffed banana desserts that you wrap in foil and cook on the fire. All of the recipes I found involved marshmallows, so I decided to substitute peanut butter and we got C & PB Bananas!

You'll need:

  • a banana for each person in your group (choose ripe ones, but not mushy-ripe)
  • a bag of mini-chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
  • creamy peanut butter (you can use crunchy too)
  • aluminum foil
  • a knife (can be plastic. no need to be too sharp)
  • spoons for eating
 Peel the top peel section of a banana (cutting into the base of the stem on the bottom side of the banana will help you in just peeling the top piece). Once peeled back, slice lengthwise down the center of the banana. Spread peanut butter down the middle of the banana and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Re-cover with the top peel and wrap banana with foil. Repeat for each banana. Take your foil-wrapped bananas and put them in the fire (making sure that you can get them out again without burning yourself!) Cook for about 5-10min (or until insides of banana are warm and gooey.)  Enjoy with spoons!

**I also read that if the banana peel is black, then they're done. We didn't let ours get too too hot because we didn't know what would happen if it started to burn, but they was delicious regardless. The peanut butter and chocolate chips melted and the combination with the banana was super-tasty!

The meal that night was delicious! I admit, our friend Jessica did most of the actual kabob grilling, but I helped and they turned out to be so good! Our first camp-cooking experience was a success. And those bananas...yum! So good and really simple to prepare! I wish I had a picture of them for you, but we just dug right in without thinking. I hope you can imagine how delicious they looked and that if you try them, you enjoy them too!

No comments: